Airsoft Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Airsoft Reports

Discussions of airsoft guns

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SCAR

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SecretWeapon
Staff Sergeant E-6
Staff Sergeant E-6

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2007-08-05

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: SCAR   SCAR EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 2:25 am

Alright guys. Its time for me to finally buy a high end aeg because I'm joining a local team and I want something to break in/tweak before playing anything national. I was thinking M14 but the team I'm joining has a really strong team dynamic and thinks very tactically and prefers everyone to be able to use similar mags for obvious reasons but I dont like m4/m16's so I was thinking a SCAR would be perfect, plus I always wanted one.

Now the issue: VFC or G&G. I looked into the CA but it has issues as I understand and it's way heavy (never been into CA anyway). I like the G&G because it comes with a tightbore stock and the internals aren't bad from what I've seen in reviews and such. I know the VFC has the edge in exterior quality as well as coming with different barrels (the outer breaks at two points and the there is an extra inner extension included). The inner barrel is not a tightbore but its better than most others (6.05 rather than the cheapo 6.08 but the G&G comes with a .035). I hear the G&G is super light, which is a good thing for me and I actually like the gripod it comes with. All in all it looks like two are very similar (albeit I dont know much about each guns' internal quality) and for the extra 40 I'd pay for the VFC I'd only gain external quality which is less important to me than the actual performance.

(I'd prefer comments from people who have knowledge about the gun and not just speculations)
Back to top Go down
http://www.idonthaveone.com
emokid
Lance Corporal E-3
Lance Corporal E-3

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-12-24

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 11:00 pm

Here is a review of the VFC SCAR:
http://www.evike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2322
Back to top Go down
http://airsoft-authority.forumotion.com/index.htm
Booligan
First Lieutenant

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2007-09-28

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 11:03 pm

I know you didn't mention it, but have you considered the DBoys in an effort to save some cash up front?
Back to top Go down
http://www.airsoftreports.com
tommyboy
Gunnery Sergeant E-7
Gunnery Sergeant E-7

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2007-06-05

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 12:13 am

I think he wants to go with a high end gun, and IMO, dboys isn't exactly high end
Back to top Go down
http://echo1og.american-forum.net/index.htm
SecretWeapon
Staff Sergeant E-6
Staff Sergeant E-6

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 12:58 am

Booligan: I actually did consider it, even waiting for the echo 1 to come out, but I need this gun to perform very, very well and stand up to heavy skirmishing like every other weekend. The D-Boys reportedly has a weak motor and average range and accuracy not to mention crap shimming. I dont mind spending the extra money for the quality at all. I know you might think "well if it breaks you'll have spent more money" but thats the point of this thread is to determine which one will serve me best in terms of durability and performance. I also have never owned a high end AEG so this is my perfect opportunity before I join a team. It'll be nice knowing I have an advantage on a field of mid-end guns.
Back to top Go down
Booligan
First Lieutenant

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 1:31 am

Well, I have limited experience with the G&G (broke it in for my buddy) and it is a good gun, but not great, and it's supposed to be one of the best SCARs made, certainly better than the CA, and equal to the VFC.

If it were me, (not to sound like I'm beating a dead horse) I would get the DBoys, and use the money I saved over buying either the VFC or the G&G to get a better motor, a top notch hop-up and tightbore barrel, reshim and regrease it myself, maybe add some different internal parts, and then have a gun that is internally better than the "high end" gun for the same or even less.

The body on the DBoys is great, and the trademarks are the best out of ANY SCAR on the market, high end or not (if you order it from HK). It just lacks a bit internally, but that can be EASILY remedied.

I look at it this way:
I can buy a $400 "high end" gun and call it a day. The parts will be good, but not great, the worksmanship will be good, but not great, and the gun will probably last a good long time without ever needing to be opened.

Or I can buy a $180 gun and throw $200 worth of absolutely top notch parts in it, do the work myself so I know that it got the time and attention it needed to be done right, and have a gun that uses GREAT parts and GREAT worksmanship and will last a tremendously long time, because it got the attention it needed. I will have a gun that isn't a "cookie cutter" gun like everyone elses on the field. I will have a truly unique gun that outperforms pretty much every "high end" gun on the market, for less than they paid. Now, usually you make some sacrifices when you do this, like having iffy externals, but in the case of the DBoys SCAR, the internals are on par or surpass (in some cases) the "high end" guns.

This is one of those cases where the middle end gun is the better option over the high end.

Why people have to have the "high end" gun is beyond me. With a little love, even the lowliest ACM gun can perform with (and above) the big boys, there's absolutely no need to blow all your cash on it because people refer to it as a "high end" gun. With most "high end" guns you get a high end name and a high end price, nothing more. Sure, some parts may be made of a more expensive material, but does that make it automatically better? No. The QC may be better, but if you do a quick once over on the internals, didn't you basically bring it up to the same level? The performance will be about the same, (or better if you tune up the mid-end gun) whether it's "high end" or not, so it's not like you'll have an advantage over anyone.

But, it's your choice, and if you feel more comfortable compromising some things and getting the "high end" gun, then that is what you will do. No words of wisdom will change your mind, lol... This was a long rant and wasn't all directed at you, mostly at the people who hold "high end" guns above ACM guns for no reason other than because it comes from a better brand name, with no other basis.

Good luck, and have fun!
(Oh, and most likely no one on this site will have experience with the "high end" SCARs, so I suggest asking on another forum if you want real honest answers)
Back to top Go down
SecretWeapon
Staff Sergeant E-6
Staff Sergeant E-6

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 2:25 am

Well it's actually very simple why I don't want to go that route: 1) I have absolutely NO idea how to install pretty much anything internal and 2) When it comes to mechanics my attempts usually do more harm than good. By working tremendous hours (hence the budget) the last thing I have time/energy for is opening up a gearbox because having a girlfriend and a hectic life outside of work sucks all spare hours out of me. That aside, I dont do well with tinkering with things. I just make matters worse, trust me. I dont want to seem lazy, but it's more of a convenience thing as well as me avoiding doing more harm than good by opening up a gun. I'm not looking for the 'perfect' gun just an above average one I don't have to do much to and know I will get my money's worth. I would love to have the time to learn how to soup up a mpeg and do it, I just dont. Call it copping out, whatever. That's just my situation. I'm lucky I find time to play at all.
Back to top Go down
Booligan
First Lieutenant

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 3:43 am

Fair enough.

Good luck with your search for intel.
Back to top Go down
newbatairsoft
Sergeant E-5
Sergeant E-5
newbatairsoft

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2007-06-05

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 3:41 pm

I have a friend who has a friend (lol, i'm serious) who has the G&G scar, I will call him to ask him how he likes it/his experiances with it. I'll let you know what he says.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SCAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCAR   SCAR Empty

Back to top Go down

SCAR
Page 1 of 1