Airsoft Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Airsoft Reports

Discussions of airsoft guns

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Demlock
Private First Class E-2
Private First Class E-2
Demlock

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-17

SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine Empty
PostSubject: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 3:01 pm

I have been looking for a aeg that is slightly different from the usual, which lead me across the XM8. I am not sure how reliable SRC / TSD is, so I do hope you can help me out here. In short, what pros and cons do you know of this aeg, or do you know a better variant?

Normally I would just use the Knowledge God ( aka Google ) but I figure we could use some conversation here.
Back to top Go down
http://Google.com
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 2:34 pm

I own an SRC G36K Gen 2 and the internals are very nice. The gears seem plenty durable and the piston is great. Only thing that should be changed is the plastic spring guide. (it doesn't come with a metal spring guide, unlike what ASGI says) The gun should handle an M120 fine and has been running my SP110 for about 10,000 rounds with no wear. My spur gear got a tooth chipped off, but I think that was because I put the motor height too high.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/article_info.php?articles_id=4
Granted, ASGI isn't always reliable.....but I wouldn't doubt this test. The AK, G36 series, and XM8s all share the same gearbox.

http://ontargetairsoft.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=94
If you are going to get an XM8, get the Gen 3s. The scope can be removed and it reveals a rail underneath.

The Gen 3s have VERY nice internals, creeping up on KWA.

Reinforced shell
8mm bearing bushings
same gearset as Gen 2 (which is fine for an M120)
Nice piston (think it's the same as the one in the Gen 2)
Metal piston head (don't worry, cylinder head has plenty of padding. I think it might be a bearing piston head)
Metal ball bearing spring guide
Reinforced tappet plate
metal air nozzle
metal cylinder head

Overall, the Gen 3s are much better internallya nd they have also made some external improvements. If you like XM8s, go for it.
Back to top Go down
Demlock
Private First Class E-2
Private First Class E-2
Demlock

PostSubject: Re: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks for your reply StealthMaster.

I was actually planning to the purchase the Black XM8 Series III, thanks for confirming the idea though. I was aware of the upgrades but had yet researched what they where. However, I don't think they are creeping up on KWA..
Back to top Go down
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Demlock wrote:
Thanks for your reply StealthMaster.

I was actually planning to the purchase the Black XM8 Series III, thanks for confirming the idea though. I was aware of the upgrades but had yet researched what they where. However, I don't think they are creeping up on KWA..

Yeah, I kinda overragerated there, I've been sick.....ha ha

They are pretty far away from KWA because the gears are nowhere near as strong (KWA gears are heat treated and the sector gear has thicker teeth) and the KWA piston is still probably much stronger. They are moving into that territory though. (bearing bushings and all the other upgrades) Not that this means anything, but SRC claims their Gen 3s are lipo ready. I'm curious if they mean 7.4v lipo or 11.1v lipo lol......

Personally, I wouldn't buy an XM8 due to the lack of aftermarket parts and since it is pretty much the only XM8 out there (excluding body kits), it is bound to be externally flawed somehow. Hopefully they addressed all the issues with the Gen 2s.
Back to top Go down
abram
Corporal E-4
Corporal E-4
abram

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 8:16 am

go check out FlankerTanker's vid on youtube

sad that he doesnt make vids anymore
Back to top Go down
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDC_F-CK-1_Ching-kuo
Demlock
Private First Class E-2
Private First Class E-2
Demlock

PostSubject: Re: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Yes this is the only XM8 model on market for the most part. And you are right, not very mainly aftermarket accessories. Then again the XM8 is only $200 and should last about 100,000 rounds average, right? That would be maybe buying a new XM8 once a year. Thats not to bad. Plus, you get a clean gun yearly instead of spending $100 a year to replace worn parts.
Back to top Go down
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 2:10 am

Demlock wrote:
Yes this is the only XM8 model on market for the most part. And you are right, not very mainly aftermarket accessories. Then again the XM8 is only $200 and should last about 100,000 rounds average, right? That would be maybe buying a new XM8 once a year. Thats not to bad. Plus, you get a clean gun yearly instead of spending $100 a year to replace worn parts.

I guess, but it uses a standard G36 gearbox, so you might as well use that cash for a TBB, bucking, and a SCS. The Gen 3 gearbox is supposedly really nice and all I would consider replacing are the gears (Element are cheap and AWESOME) and the metal piston head with a G&P explosive head.
Back to top Go down
Demlock
Private First Class E-2
Private First Class E-2
Demlock

PostSubject: Re: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Well, here is the problem
a) I work 40 hours a week
b) My GT takes up most free time
c) Researching Computers & Business Management

I will be opening my own computer store in hopefully about 3-4 yrs with a friend, with me as the Sole Proprietorship. We have thought of Partnership, but its only a thought. I will be more into the Custom Order field, less store fronts. You buy our equipment from mainly other retailers. I may be able to get a business deal / funding from the Kroger Corporation. After a year working with them I have managed to become the President of the Store Council and have twice meet the President and Vice President of the Corporation. I was actually asked to have coffee at Starbucks with the President!
( Starbucks is in our store )

Even if I can't get help from Kroger I will continue on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine   SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine Empty

Back to top Go down

SRC / TSD XM8 Carbine
Page 1 of 1