Airsoft Reports

Discussions of airsoft guns

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

Full Auto vs Semi Auto

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Which do you think is better and more effective?
Full Auto
56%
 56% [ 22 ]
Semi Auto
44%
 44% [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 39

AuthorMessage
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:11 am

Full auto is best because you are more likely to hit someone. I'm not talking about spray and pray, I'm talking about 3 round or more bursts.

In real steel guns, single shot can be better for long ranges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
newbatairsoft
Sergeant E-5
Sergeant E-5

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:55 am

Yea but you see thats the thing, you really should not compare airsoft to real steel (when it comes to shooting and playing), there are so many huge differances. We are using toys here, not real firearms. To say that a certain amount of shots with bb's equals a certain amount of shots with real steel is comparing apples to oranges, you just shouldn't. A metal projectile flying 700-1000 fps from a fire arm is totally differant than a 6mm plastic bb going 300 fps coming from a bb gun. To sum it up, its a lot harder to hit someone with a bb gun. There fore all of your tactics and shooting skillz should not be very similiar (there are exceptions) to the real steel. And then there is the fact that in real life when you storm a building to save the hostages, the terrorist inside is not really expecting you like your opponent does in airsoft. And the terrorist does not know where and when ctu is moving in..lol...so the ct's have an advantage that we dont have. Our opponents know where we can go, when we will pop out, and all FP is mostly equal on the field. I know I am getting ot and stuff, but my point is, you will have to do things in airsoft that are differant from real steel, and you cant really compare te two. Just do what you find to be the best for you. If you are good at using auto and conserving your ammo at the same time, go for it. If you got the skillz to use semi and keep your opponents heads down till they get owned, go for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abram
Corporal E-4
Corporal E-4

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am

u know
TM made a burst opption before what happened to it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDC_F-CK-1_Ching-kuo
sgt. Hartwig
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2007-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:38 pm

Its on the type89 or something like that, its been out for awhile.

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/thartwig
abram
Corporal E-4
Corporal E-4

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:04 pm

no on the sig 550 flankerT's vid
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDC_F-CK-1_Ching-kuo
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:52 pm

newbatairsoft wrote:
Yea but you see thats the thing, you really should not compare airsoft to real steel (when it comes to shooting and playing), there are so many huge differances. We are using toys here, not real firearms. To say that a certain amount of shots with bb's equals a certain amount of shots with real steel is comparing apples to oranges, you just shouldn't. A metal projectile flying 700-1000 fps from a fire arm is totally differant than a 6mm plastic bb going 300 fps coming from a bb gun. To sum it up, its a lot harder to hit someone with a bb gun. There fore all of your tactics and shooting skillz should not be very similiar (there are exceptions) to the real steel. And then there is the fact that in real life when you storm a building to save the hostages, the terrorist inside is not really expecting you like your opponent does in airsoft. And the terrorist does not know where and when ctu is moving in..lol...so the ct's have an advantage that we dont have. Our opponents know where we can go, when we will pop out, and all FP is mostly equal on the field. I know I am getting ot and stuff, but my point is, you will have to do things in airsoft that are differant from real steel, and you cant really compare te two. Just do what you find to be the best for you. If you are good at using auto and conserving your ammo at the same time, go for it. If you got the skillz to use semi and keep your opponents heads down till they get owned, go for it.

Um................nice post, but I wasn't comparing real steel to airsoft.

I'm saying in airsoft, full auto is better because bbs dont' fly straight everytime. So if you shoot bursts, there's going to be alteast 1 bb that hits them if not all of them.

Guys, just because your gun is in single, doesn't mean you can't rapid fire. Very Happy You could shoot several shots in single and it would be almost as effective as a burst.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
newbatairsoft
Sergeant E-5
Sergeant E-5

Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:45 pm

Yea, sorry I forgot to say I was not directing that towards you at all. You just gave me the idea to write something that was on my mind. Yes, I agree a good use of semi can be just as effective as auto bursts. One nice thing about it is, if you can get the timing right, you can shoot to get his head back or down, and then time it so just when they think they can come out the bb comes right by their head, and eventaully this will lead to an irritated, upset, scared opponent, and/or eventually to a kill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:45 pm

lol np

I agree with you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikesta909
Private E-1

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:05 pm

I voted Semi-auto. The reason is it feels I lot more realistic. It feels a lot better when you snipe someone out. O and someone farther up says semi saves damage to the gearbox. Thats not true. Full auto is better for your gun
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com
Admin
Colonel
Colonel

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:33 pm

I have gotten into this argument on various forums including this one.

From what I have concluded there are both pros and cons to both side.

As many people have already stated, airsoft is not real steel combat and thus using real steel tactics as a guide serve little practical airsoft purpose.

Another thing to consider is the difference between airsoft guns and real steel guns.

Real steel - Gunpowder projected metal projectiles. Thus, firing in full auto causes extreme amounts of pressure, heat and wear on the guns parts.

Airsoft - Compressed air projected gelatin/plastic/rubber(ish) bbs that place almost no wear on anything but the hop up bucking. The gearbox (In an AEG) is a motor attached to gears and of course each part spins. NOMINAL wear occurs on gears that are moving (Assuming they are properly lubricated and aligned). The motor is prob the part that will suffer the most with long term full auto fire. (Again assuming the gearbox is properly assembled and lubricated).

That said, full auto keeps the gearbox moving more, which according to the consensus seems to place less wear on the gear box because it is not starting and stopping as much. (I surmise this also means less potential for gear misalignment).

The disadvantage is that the motor could get burned out sooner if the user starts keeps full auto on continuously for an extended period of time (Minutes or more).

Further, continuous full auto will drain your batter much more quickly. (That is, full auto for an extended period of time SHOULD drain more juice than if you made the same number of shots on semi or in bursts).

Allright so thats my take on extended full auto use.

Now on to semi use.

The major reason that I have discovered for semi auto fire in airsoft is to preserve the spring in the gearbox.

From what I have researched, the spring is DE COMPRESSED with each shot. That is the piston is cycled ONCE and supposedly it stops when the spring is decompressed. This makes sense.

Thus, semi fire would likely preserve your spring for a longer period of time. (Remember though that a spring is usually much less expensive than a gearbox or motor).

But here is my theory with semi mode.

Sure, it may preserve the spring...again though thats a relatively inexpensive part, but what about the torque required?

Now I do not have a scientific basis for this, but it makes sense that more torque would be required over all if the motor has to crank the Gearbox from 0% to 100% for each shot fired, than if it could utilize some of the momentum that is built up by firing in full auto.

Now, I don't know for sure whether this is true or not (But in a car, it requires more amperage to start a car then to keep it running), but to me it seems logical.

What does this all mean?

I usually keep the AEG on full auto and fire in bursts of about 2-4 sec. and I usually try to avoid "Short stroking" the trigger. That is pulling the trigger once, and then again without letting the gears cycle fully through their range of motion.

So far the AEGs that I own are doing fine...but then again, so are some that have been used nearly exclusively on semi so...

It may be a moot point.

My .02USD.

View user profile http://www.airsoftreports.com
demosquad_571
Lance Corporal E-3
Lance Corporal E-3

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:30 pm

"As many people have already stated, airsoft is not real steel combat and thus using real steel tactics as a guide serve little practical airsoft purpose."

Yet airsoft is a simulation of real steel combat, therefore whats the point of buying a realistic replica, and realistic military gear, if you are just going to spray 100 rounds at everything that moves? This isn't the North Hollywood Bank Robbery of '97, unless your support of course Razz

My point is that using semi auto most if not all of the time, will tone your marksman skills, teach ammunition conservation, and will also make it harder for the enemy to find you.

This is why I most of the time I recommend people stay away from high ROF setups, and head to high FPS setups, unless they are playing some type of support position.

Nonetheless, I still agree with some of the parts in your post.

-dmsq
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figureitout.com
AirsoftMan
Sergeant E-5
Sergeant E-5

Registration date : 2007-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:35 pm

demosquad_571 wrote:
"As many people have already stated, airsoft is not real steel combat and thus using real steel tactics as a guide serve little practical airsoft purpose."

Yet airsoft is a simulation of real steel combat, therefore whats the point of buying a realistic replica, and realistic military gear, if you are just going to spray 100 rounds at everything that moves? This isn't the North Hollywood Bank Robbery of '97, unless your support of course Razz

My point is that using semi auto most if not all of the time, will tone your marksman skills, teach ammunition conservation, and will also make it harder for the enemy to find you.

This is why I most of the time I recommend people stay away from high ROF setups, and head to high FPS setups, unless they are playing some type of support position.

Nonetheless, I still agree with some of the parts in your post.

-dmsq

Here is where I disagree, yes airsoft simulates the military, but an airsoft gun will never come close to the velocity and accuracy of a real steel gun.

I personally use short ~5 round bursts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.airsoft.com
demosquad_571
Lance Corporal E-3
Lance Corporal E-3

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:04 pm

"yes airsoft simulates the military, but an airsoft gun will never come close to the velocity and accuracy of a real steel gun."

The accuracy of an airsoft gun when compared to a real steel does not matter, you don't play at real steel ranges of 200+ yards. A properly maintained AEG, with a skilled shooter can easily hit an OpFor in the 75-125ft standard woodland/desert airsoft engagement radius. Semi auto is over the best choice in my opinion. With the addition of a high torque motor, you will get 0 trigger lag, so you could use semi auto rapidly if needed. Though in some situations, full auto will be required, but I have found those situations to be rare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figureitout.com
Airsoftguy
Captain
Captain

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:39 pm

I agree with almost everything Admin said.For airsoft, nothing beats 3-5 round bursts. IMO of course.

Annun Cirith
Private First Class E-2
Private First Class E-2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:10 pm

Speaking of burst fire, I can't place the company at the moment but I know there is a VP70 replica that has 3 round burst with the stock attached.

I keep my M4 on full auto and burst fire mostly because semi auto doesn't always fire. But when I get my JG G36c, it will probably be on full auto and I will probably burst fire that, too. Just feels much better knowing that there's a ton of firepower just waiting Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/shadows_song
sgt. Hartwig
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2007-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:50 am

Would it be Tanio Koba?

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/thartwig
Tex
Sergeant E-5
Sergeant E-5

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:04 pm

I use full auto but with real short bursts...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.google.com
Annun Cirith
Private First Class E-2
Private First Class E-2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:57 am

I voted full auto for the same reason others did- No burst fire option. I have my gun on semi only when I'm taking long distance shots. Full auto for long periods is only good for suppressing fire and even then, sometimes well-placed semi-auto shots are more effective at intimidation.

To those who mentioned that the gun can overheat, how long does it take a typical V3 gearbox to overheat? I took my g36 out and ran through a full 100rd midcap on full auto and then took it apart to check for heat... it was still almost cool. I'm pondering testing out my hicap on full auto but I'm certain that's overkill XD

EDIT: to sgt. Hartwig: I'm not sure, I think it may be. I can't look it up right now since, once again -_- all airsoft retailers are blocked on the school site. It's a gas powered VP70, and AGI offers it. That's all I can tell you. Sorry =(
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/shadows_song
RoboFURY
Gunnery Sergeant E-7
Gunnery Sergeant E-7

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Uhh, I use both. If I had to choose between the two, I would have to go full auto. For most of the reasons already stated. I would only use semi if I were in the DM role, like OverD stated. But I am rarely in that position, Its hard to hit some one 250 feet away with Iron sites. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swt.clangrid.com
Airsoftguy
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 pm

I pretty much NEVER use semi any more. Infact, I have started using longer bursts than I used to.

RoboFURY
Gunnery Sergeant E-7
Gunnery Sergeant E-7

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:25 pm

I will use semi if its an incredibly easy shot, or if I am trying to be more stealthy. Like if I find myself behind the opposing team, I would down whoever I could with a semi. That way I cold save ammo and I would make less noise. But overall I think full auto is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swt.clangrid.com
Airsoftguy
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Unfortunately, the people I play with wear so much gear, you have to really drill them in order to make sure they feel it. lol

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Full Auto vs Semi Auto   

Back to top Go down

Full Auto vs Semi Auto
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2