Airsoft Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Airsoft Reports

Discussions of airsoft guns

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question

Go down 
+2
Booligan
Stealthmasterairsoft14
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2007-11-02

Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question Empty
PostSubject: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 pm

My mom went down to the local airsoft store to pick up some bbs and lube (since she would be in that part of town) and the store was all out. One of the store clerks said to go down to Ace Hardware and purchase heavy duty silicone lube. He said that's what they use and showed her the bottle.

Will this stuff work for cleaning the barrel and such without eating away the plastic? I forget what chemical is removed in Airsoft Silicone lube so it doesn't eat plastic/rubber.

Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
Booligan
First Lieutenant

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2007-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 4:45 pm

If the shop said to use it, it should be fine.

It's petroleum distillates that eats away at rubber. If it doesn't have any, it should be fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.airsoftreports.com
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 5:23 pm

k thanks booligan
Back to top Go down
Airsoftguy
Captain
Captain
Airsoftguy

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 1:47 am

IT depends. Some silicone oils you can buy at the hardware store have detergents in them. So what is does is, it lubs you hop up, and then dries it out again.
Back to top Go down
http://airsoftgates.clictopics.com/index.htm
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 9:18 pm

this is an old topic, but I picked up some Ace hardware silicone spray and it says, "Pure silicone spray." It doesn't say anything about petroleum distillates, but it also doesn't have the ingredients. It says on the back to "test area before spraying on plastic."

Do you think this stuff will work? I can take pics of the bottle and post them.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Colonel
Colonel

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Well obviously I don't know if we're talking about the same stuff, but I bought a can of what I think is the same product.

I have tested it on half a dozen airsoft guns, on silicone, and on other misc plastics and it has been great!

The only issue I have had is with the cleaning rod you always get with the guns. I used some paper towel as a swab and sprayed some of the silicone spray on the paper towel to clean the inner barrel.

I left the swab on the cleaning rod and the next day, part of the paper towel and become attached to the end of the cleaning rod.

BUT!

I have had not other issues at all with the product and its "Ace brand, 100% pure" so it sounds like that's what you've got as well.

Frankly I would love to be able to use this stuff w/o having to buy those crazy small bottles at jacked up prices.
Back to top Go down
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Well the only thing that worries me is the fact I just sprayed some on a body of an old, broken airsoft gun to test if it works with plastic and after about a minute, I wiped off the excess spray and it had left a gray area where I sprayed.

I sprayed it all along the body and all the area that I sprayed turned gray. (it should be black)

what do you think, will this stuff work? (I can take a pic of the gun body)

I'm afraid it will eat away the hop up and other things.
Back to top Go down
sgt. Hartwig
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel
sgt. Hartwig

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2007-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 10:59 pm

err... that doesnt sound like it's safe. A few pictures would be good, and the name of the brand also. Just so people know to stay away.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/thartwig
Admin
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 11:48 pm

well, it is possible we're talking about different products, and although I have had some temporary discoloration on my test surfaces, a quick wipe and its back to normal.

If you are encountering either discoloration or erosion however, I would def NOT use the product.

Try testing the product on test patches of material that you wont mind destroying.
Back to top Go down
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 am

It's just regular Ace hardware PURE silicone spray. It has discoloration because it won't come off lol

I'll upload pics as soon as I can.

Admin, is there anyway you could post a pic of the can you use? That would be VERY helpful because I don't want to spend 7 bucks on a tiny can of "airsoft" lube

thanks guys
Back to top Go down
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 am

Back to top Go down
theprodigy
Master Gunnery Sergeant E-9
theprodigy

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2007-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 12:08 pm

I have never tried that stuff but check this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ZNHK11G8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg. I think that is what Admin uses and a bunch of my friends use it.
Back to top Go down
https://airsoftreports.editboard.com/profile.forum
Admin
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 9:49 pm

The product in the picture is the product I have been using without any noticeable issue.

I have used the spray on several hop ups and have inspected them over the last several weeks.

So far all is well.
Back to top Go down
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:08 am

well for some reason mine ruins plastic. The stain refuses to come off. Sad
Back to top Go down
Admin
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 10:37 am

don't know why. Im sorry to hear that.
Back to top Go down
Stealthmasterairsoft14
First Lieutenant
Stealthmasterairsoft14

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 2:14 am

Oh well, me madre said she can use it for doors. lol

I tested it on an old gun's body so the damage didn't matter Smile

I guess I'll just pick up some rip off "airsoft lube" because I don't want to keep taking back other spray.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question   Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question Empty

Back to top Go down

Ace hardware heavy duty silicone lube question
Page 1 of 1